Close dialog
Go back
Skip to content (Press Enter) Skip to footer (Press Enter)

Start your search

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Australian Student Visa Checklist

The world was born into chaos, and then there was order. The student visa process is kind of like this… kind of… sort of… not really… bear with us, this has a point!

Your student visa application isn’t exactly biblical, but the same rule applies that it will be a bit of a chaotic process. That is, until you intervene, and create order.

And nothing says order quite like a Student Visa Checklist!

But don’t worry – we’re here to give you some much-needed structure and visa information, as well as some top-notch student accommodation. Avoid falling into visa application disarray and dismay, and read on to learn more!

The student visa (subclass500) will allow you to stay and study in Australia. And in order to be eligible you’ve got to tick off the Australian student visa requirements: Enrolment, Genuine Temporary Entrant, English language Skills, Financial Capacity, Health Examinations & Insurance, Character Assessment, and so on and so forth.

Not only do you need to tick off these requirements, but you need to make sure you attach all the required documentary evidence. So which documents will you need to apply for your visa? Time to check-in with the checklist.


Before we start, it’s worth noting that the list of required visa documents you need vary depending on which country you are coming from. They also vary depending on whether or not you have decided on an education provider. Not all checklists are created equal.

The Document Checklist Tool on the Department of Home Affairs website is also subject to change as it is updated twice a year. So, make sure you update along with them.

But moving on. Let’s push the side notes aside and run through a comprehensive standard checklist procedure. Which documents need to be attached when you apply for your student visa?


This is the part where you include all the necessary documents to prove you are you:


For your student visa application, you must be enrolled in a course of study that’s registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students.

If you’re applying from outside Australia, you must attach a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for all intended courses you plan to study in Australia. Make sure you include all CoE codes in your student visa application form.

Even if you’re already in Australia, you still need to provide CoE/s to be granted your visa.

You are only exempt from providing a CoE code if: You’re a postgraduate research student required to remain in Australia (for marking your thesis). In this case you only need to provide a letter from your education provider.


The Department of Home Affairs will want to assess that you’re genuinely interested in studying in Australia. So that’s why the Australian visa process includes the GTE requirement: It operates as a lie detector!

The GTE is a way of separating applicants who are coming to Australia temporarily for a quality education, and those who are just using student exchange as an entry/ongoing residency loophole in Oz.

As part of the filtering process, you’re going to have to include a personal statement in your visa application. You need to show The Home Office that you genuinely want to stay in Australia temporarily to study. Make sure to include in your statement:

Provide these details in your visa application form or attach a written statement. You should also attach all documents humanly possible to support your claims. Avoid generic statements that are unsupported by evidence. Being generic is boring. And being generic will also equal visa rejection. Safeguard yourself from visa fails wherever possible folks.


Before you lodge your visa, you need to have done your medical examinations. This is required for all migrants so don’t start feeling hard done by. Just go into your medical assessment clinic and get it done.

You can complete your health examinations before lodging your visa application by using My Health Declarations. This is an electronic health processing service. Because the world is always electronic these days. So how does it work?

Well, simply put, you’ll need to complete the My Health Declarations electronic form and then create a My Health Declarations account. This is where you enter personal details and answer health declaration questions.

The details you submit are what determines which health examinations you are required to complete. They’ll be specific to you and your student visa.

Next, you’ll be given a referral letter listing your required examinations, to be completed at an approved panel clinic outside Australia. For your appointment, provide your referral letter and HAP ID (Health Assessment Portal) to the clinic panel.

Once you’ve been examined and given the “all systems are go” clearance from the mighty medical panel… your health examinations will be submitted electronically to the Australian Department for processing.

When it comes time to lodge your student visa application, make sure you indicate on your application form that you’ve already completed your health examinations. You MUST include your HAP ID for reference!


Now you must, must, must have health insurance while studying in Australia. And when it comes to your student visa application you must show health insurance documentation.

Make sure you organise Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), which will provide medical and hospital insurance for the duration of your student exchange. Being unwell is never a good look.

Make sure you include your policy number when you apply for your student visa. And also make sure that the beginning and end date of your policy mimics the beginning and end date of your student exchange (and general presence in Oz).


The Australian visa application process just doesn’t miss a beat. So, you’ll also need documentary proof that you’re a “desirable” immigrant. No we’re not talking about being a good lookin’ student. Desirable as in… you’re not a criminal or fraud of some variety or other. No bullies either thanks.

To prove you’re a good citizen, you’ll have to answer character related questions on your visa application form. You’ll also need to include a Police Clearance Certificate to satisfy the visa character requirements.


You need to speak English in order to study in English. Or know a little at any rate. In this case you’re going to need to sit and ace the IELTS test, or some equivalent. You need to provide documentary evidence of your English proficiency.

In your student visa application, don’t forget to attach your English Language test score which meets the minimum acceptance:


Now this is the big one. You need to have the financial capacity to pay for your course fees, travel and living costs. This includes any accompanying family members as well.

The student visa process and student exchange come with plenty of fees.

So, you’ll need to provide evidence that you have the financial capacity. This documentary proof needs to be included in your visa application. In terms of flexibility you have a few options:

OPTION 1: Twelve Months Funds:

Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia, 12-months living expenses, and course fees (for you and any additional applicants). Costs include:

Living Costs:

Course Costs:

Travel Costs:

You need to ensure you provide evidence of genuine access the required funds. In your visa application you need to include evidence of incomeassets, and employment documentation for you or the person providing the funds.

OPTION 2: Evidence of Annual Income:

You’ll need to meet the annual income requirement of at least AUD $60,000, or AUD $70,000 if you’re accompanied by family members. Your visa application will need to include evidentiary documentation like:


If you’re underage and intend to travel to Australia without one or both of your parents/legal guardians, you must include consent letters signed by non-accompanying guardians that are witnessed by local authority.

The consent letter must include your (the student’s) name, name of the consenting parent/s/guardian/s. Include identity evidence (Passport or National Identity Card) for both parents/guardians cited in the consent letters.

You must also have a court order from Australia or your home country permitting your removal. This might seem extreme but you’re a minor after all.

In terms of your accommodation, you also need to attach a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare Arrangements (CAAW). This means you need to find a certified underage student accommodation provider a.s.a.p.
If you intend on living with any relatives or parents during your student exchange, you must provide:

Takeaway Thoughts (‘Cause we love takeaway)

When it comes to required documents, the Australian student visa application is just the gift that keeps on giving. The Department of Home Affairs wants evidentiary documents left, right and centre.

So, when you’re applying for your visa, don’t feel overwhelmed. Just remember: Keep Calm and Check The Checklist. Go now and create ORDER. And if you need more information on student visas and student life in Australia, your friends here at The Student Housing Company are always here to help!